Wednesday 5 September 2012

Handling situations with grace

Lala had a get together to celebrate her birthday. We were all very excited about it and looked forward to a nice evening around the fire pit with friends and marshmallows...

What actually happened was this...

*Very drunk teenagers

*Disrespectful teenagers

*Lala discovering her friends aren't quite what she thought they'd be

*Vomit (alcohol induced...)

*Trips to fetch more beer

*Intimidation



I think every parent/child mix goes through this at one time but boy, it's not easy. Especially when your child wants you to give some of these people a second chance.

So, how to handle a situation with grace. I guess I must approach it with an open ear and pleasant smile, also I think I should remember I had wild ways too- back when I was younger. I'm not going to hold the feelings of disappointment inside as they will just eat me up but I am going to realise that LaLa was as hurt as we were and that it wasn't her fault and not to hold it against her or keep bringing it up to cause bad feeling.

Plus, a couple of these people were actually lovely and didn't drink themselves into stupidity or be arrogant and negligent all in the same breath...

Do we, as parents, have the right to tell our kids who is being a good friend and who they should avoid? Or do we step back and realise that some things just have to be found out for themselves and that we should keep a calm demeanour and a gentle smile with arms ready to catch our kids when the unexpected happens.

Lala, Haylesowen & Superman

J-boy and McSpannah

The LaLa and Annie
Grace, my friends, grace in the bucket loads.


No comments:

Post a Comment