Wednesday 22 May 2013

All growd up.


What do Mothers do when their kids are all grown? Is there a special class somewhere we can go to that will teach us how to integrate with normal society sans children? For nearly 19 years I have been a Mum, I've nurtured and cosseted, disciplined and educated (literally- as we home schooled!) been a personal cheerleader and psychotherapist, cook and pot washer and about a thousand other things that hang under the title of 'Parent.' After reading Rae's blog about Motherhood and all it's wily ways I pondered how different it is being at the opposite end of the stick - my days of having pre teens and toddlers running about are over. Each stage of parenthood proffers its own craziness, yes?

The girl is off to university in September - WOAH! Wait a minute, university you say??? My child? Old enough to be doing stuff on her own.... When did this happen. So panic sets in and you second guess yourself about whether or not you have prepared this amazing human being enough to be out there in this big ol' world without you to hold their hand. What do you mean they'll have to budget for food, wash their own clothes, remember to lock up at night!!!! I can barely do that myself and I am 40 and she is just a child at almost 19. Hang on a minute, here comes the panic again...







And the boy is off to college soon, Nearly 17 and as tall and hairy as a full grown man. Eeeek.
He wants to be a scientist, to be honest I think he already is. Always wanting to know how the world works on a teeny tiny molecular level. Again, amazement at this serious young man we've raised. He's overcome more difficulties than most adults ever have to face and is simply awesome.






So now me and the husband have to start this new chapter in our lives as the kids start writing their own books.
We'll have to remember to talk to each other without using stuff the kids have done to start the conversation... Wait a minute - you mean that's even a possibility??

This is going to be a bumpy ride I reckon, remembering how to be a person in your own right - not just a parent or partner. You mean I count for something that doesn't involve cooking noodles or cleaning clothes? Of course I do but I sometimes forget this. For just one day I'd like to be able to see myself through Sherm's eyes because apparently he doesn't see a fat, useless lump. He sees his equal in every glance he casts my way, he sees beauty where as I see ugliness, he loves me unconditionally. I'm a very lucky woman. One incredible husband, two fantabulous kids who are rising to their own challenges and a new lawn in the back garden... What more could a girl ask for eh? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment